Check out our Tie-Dyed Cake...
Pretty cute, don't you think?
Here's what you'll need (feel free to make any of this from scratch, I just used store-bought supplies)...
* box of white cake mix + ingredients to make it
* 2 containers of white frosting
* shirt cake pan or any other shape (I happened to get mine years ago at a garage sale and it seems Wilton no longer makes them, but you could check Ebay or Amazon (affiliate link)for used ones, or just make your own shape from a regular sheet cake pan)
* food coloring
Here's what to do...
1. Mix up your white cake mix according to package directions. Separate the batter into 4 separate bowls, then add food coloring to each bowl to make the colors you want ( I think I used about 15 drops of coloring in each bowl)
2. Pour your batter into your greased cake pan. I just did a little bit of one color here and a little bit there, until the whole pan was filled with random blobs and swirls of color.
5. Use a toothpick to sketch a rough tie-dye swirl design in your frosting. (My photo of the toothpick sketch was too faint, so I've drawn on the design I followed)
7. Finally, use the end of your fancy cake decorating spoon to draw the color from one swirl to the other, wiping off the spoon after each time.
Oh, and things were way too hectic at cake serving time to get a well-photographed shot of the tie-dyed inside, but here's a quick, somewhat blurry, photo I grabbed before the girls came back inside and I had to start cutting seconds.
You can read about all the other details of our Tie-Dye Birthday Party HERE!