This is version two of the personalized pillows I've been making to give as gifts when my kids are invited to classmate's birthday parties ( the first version is the Personalized Make-Your-Own Pillow Kit ). Although I really liked the idea of the pillow kit because it was an activity AND a gift, my son thought his friend would rather get a pillow "already put together". I did have to order the fleece for his favorite sports team online because our local fabric store didn't stock it, but it was still a budget-friendly gift (and I got to order some extra fabrics to get the free shipping! ;) )
|The front and back of the personalized Cowboys pillow.|
- Two pieces of coordinating fleece, each approx. 19"x25"
- Heat'n Bond Lite Iron-on Adhesive
- Small piece of coordinating fabric for name ( not fleece )
- Polyfill stuffing
** NOTE ** Because the first few steps of this pillow are identical to those in the Personalized Pillow Kit, you can check out that tutorial HERE if you'd like visuals for the steps.
1. Trace the letters for the name onto the paper side of the Iron-on Adhesive. (You'll want to flip the letters over backwards when tracing so the letters face the right way when you cut them out.) Following the directions on the package, iron the Heat n Bond to the wrong side of your fabric for the letters. Cut out the letters for the name.
2. Carefully iron the letters onto the fleece. (You'll want to be very careful not to leave the iron in one spot for more than a couple seconds or it will melt a mark into the fleece!!) Then machine stitch around the letters to more securely attach them.
3. Using a marking pencil and a ruler, draw lines 3 1/2" in from each of the edges on one of your fleece panels.
* Here is where the directions change for this different style of pillow.
4. Keeping the wrong sides together and using the lines as a guide, sew around the outside of the pillow, leaving an opening to insert the stuffing.
|Sewn around 3 1/2 inches from the outside with an opening for stuffing.|
5. Stuff your pillow then sew closed the opening.
6. Cut squares off of each of the corners.
7. Cut a 1/2" fringe around the perimeter of the pillow, being careful not to cut into the seam. Then tie each pair of strips to help "mix" the colors of the two panels.
8. That's it! Your personalized pillow is complete. I think this is an awesome, yet inexpensive, gift or a great way to add a little color to your couch or bed. With all the teams and other patterns available in fleece, you really have a ton of possibilities.