I realized I don't often share too much about myself here on the blog. I talk about the kids and stuff we do, but haven't talked too much about me. Since there won't be another 11-11-11 date for another 100 years, I thought I'd take this chance to share Eleven Things About Me. (plus, I don't have any other blog posts ready for today ;) )
Okay, here goes...
1. I just turned 40 this summer. Even though the gray hair is creeping in with a vengeance and I have some pretty bad forehead wrinkles, I don't feel nearly as old as I thought I'd feel at 40. (Oh, and I totally blame both the gray hair and the wrinkles on my kids ~ you can't give the "mom look" as many times as I have these past few years and escape wrinkle free!)
|My "Birthday Toast" (instead of Birthday Pancakes)|
2. I had my three kids in just under three years. I nursed all three babies until they were right around a year old so I once calculated that I was either pregnant and/or nursing for 59 months straight!!
3. I love Diet Coke. I know soda is bad for you. I realize it's deteriorating my bones and wreaking havoc on my insides, but I just.can't.stop.drinking.the.stuff!
4. I was an elementary school teacher for nine years before stopping when my oldest was born. Now that my youngest is in kindergarten, I'm back at work part time as a classroom aide. I love seeing kids get excited about learning and creating (which is why I'm loving this blogging thing too), but I'm not sure I want to take on the challenges of being a full-time classroom teacher again.
5. My college roomate and I spent almost 5 weeks traveling cross-country after graduation. It was the coolest thing camping and seeing some of the many amazing sights here in the United States ~ the Badlands of S.Dakota, the Grand Canyon, the Golden Gate Bridge, Graceland ~ and so many other cool places. I would love to get an RV and do the same thing with my kids some day ( but I want to wait until after they've moved past the stage of constant bickering!)
|A much younger me (left) in front of Mt. Rushmore|
6. I'm the oldest of four kids. While having a 4th kid myself would have sent me to the loony bin, I'm really glad my own kids will experience some of the same joys (and frustrations) of having siblings around.
7. I occasionally faint (called vasovagal syncope) when I see or hear anything related to operations or other medical stuff . It doesn't happen every time, but several times a year I'll see something, or hear something, or read something to trigger it and out I go. There have even been a few times when I've woken up from a particularly vivid dream and then promptly fainted (crazy, isn't it?) Unfortunately, my son seems to have inherited this trait and has fainted a few times when he skins a knee or loses a tooth.
8. I love to read. I find it hard to put a book down once I start it. Therefore, I've learned not to even pick up a book unless I have time to finish it. Luckily, I'm a quick reader so if I start a book I can usually finish it before the kids start to feel neglected or the laundry piles up too high.
|I just ordered myself the Kindle Fire . It's my first high tech purchase ever and I'm super excited to be able to bring my books with me wherever now.|
9. I'm definitely a night owl, not a morning person. Any blog posts that you might see posted at 1 in the morning are shared real time. Any blog posts at 7 am have been pre-scheduled!
10. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't like eating meat on the bone. Aside from a very occasional meal of BBQ ribs, everything needs to be ground or boneless.