Here's what you need:
NOTE: This made enough for 10 individual trifles in the clear plastic tumbler cups (with a little bit of cake leftover). Just adjust up or down if you need more or less. Oh, and I just used box cake mix and instant pudding. If you're a "from scratch" person, feel free to use your favorite recipe.
- two boxes of white cake mix (plus ingredients to make it)
- two boxes of instant pudding (plus milk to make it)
- food coloring
- whipped cream (optional, but a nice touch)
Here's what to do:
Color your cake batter red, yellow and blue.
Color your pudding orange, green and purple.
5. Bake your red, yellow and blue cakes. (I used rectangular bread pans, but any pan would work.)
6. Allow cakes to cool. Trim off the very outer layers of the cake to expose the brighter colors underneath, then cut into cubes.
|It's not burnt, but it's not as vibrant as the inside.|
7. Begin to layer your trifle. Because my purple pudding had a slight brownish tint (since the pudding itself was yellow), I stuck the purple on the bottom.
8. Continue layering... pudding, cake, pudding, cake, until your rainbow is complete!
That's it! It's really quite easy and looks so pretty and colorful. (Plus, I always feel kind of fancy serving a trifle!)
Oh, and here's a quick picture of the happy trifle eaters. Most were already halfway finished before I could even snap the photo!
Sharing our tasty rainbow at: